Wood is cherished for its durability, its lightness and its warm look both in our indoor and outdoor spaces. However, although its longevity, wood is a material that requires a minimum of maintenance. A wooden balcony is calming and trendy, but especially on the outside its fibers have to endure multiple sources of potential degradation: pollution, sun, rain, rot and much more. It is too keep the wood from degrading too much that you need to take care of it. With the following tricks, the maintenance of your balcony no longer means a question mark.
Maintain your balcony regularly
A balcony is outdoor day and night which implies it is subject to all kinds of weather conditions. This of course does not help to keep your balcony clean on a daily basis and this is exactly why you regularly need to do some maintenance work.
In order to clean your balcony appropriately, start by rubbing the wooden planks to remove the superficial dirt. You can use a thin spatula to also clean between the planks.
Then, with a stiff brush, rub your balcony to remove the dust.
If your balcony is close to other balconies or a street, be cautious when cleaning not to spread the dirt on the surroundings.
Maintain your balcony annually
There are different products that you can use to clean your balcony once a year.
First, start by using a product that cleans the wood in its deep fibers. This will remove large assimilations of greenery and dirt. Such products should be applied once a year at the beginning of the warmer season.
- With a hosepipe, humidify the surface of your balcony
- With a paintbrush or a roller, apply a small non-diluted quantity of the Rubio Monocoat Exterior Wood Cleaner
- Rub the treated area with a nylon brush in the direction of the wood’s length until it is clean. The product will foam up. If the dirt is deeply ingrained, you can repeat the process.
- Rinse the balcony thoroughly until all the foam is gone
- Leave the surface of the wood to dry (for around 30 minutes if the temperature is above 20°C and if there is a breeze)
- Apply the protection treatment by Rubio Monocoat Exterior of your choice.
Know more about the Rubio maintenance products
To preserve the tint of the exotic wood, apply a natural, colored oil. Ideally, you should apply a layer of oil every year at the beginning of spring. This will bring back the wood’s original tint and also counteract aging effects.
Caution! Always clean your floor before applying protective oils.
- Mix the oil before applying
- On a clean and dry surface, apply a layer of Rubio Monocoat Hybrid Wood Protector with a flat brush
- Let it set for 10 minutes. Rub in any excess oil with the same brush without using more product
- After 5 minutes, wipe the floor with a cloth to eliminate oily traces.
- Leave the floor to dry for 24 hours. After around 7 days the hardening process will be completely done. Please wait the complete drying (24 hours) before setting your furniture back in place
Know more about Rubio tinted oil
The homemade solution to cleaning and preparing your balcony (out of wood, tiles, or concrete) is baking soda and black soap. Use a stiff broom and dip it into a table spoon of black soap or baking soda diluted in one liter of water. Then, rinse and dry your balcony floor with care. The advantage of this solution is that it is not aggressive to your surface.
Published on 01/06/2022